The Toxic Metal Urine Challenge Test
· The test kit fee of $58 (paid to Genova Diagnostics) covers the test kit, all supplies,
shipping by DHL, plus a PDF file of your test results emailed to you.
· The fee of $30 (paid to Dr. Thomas Abshier) covers the cost for ordering the test
kit, and reporting the test results and interpretation to you by email.
· The NCD (Zeolite), used as the challenging Toxic Metal detoxifying agent, is sent
at a separate cost of $40 (plus shipping).
· You may expect your test results and data analysis to be e-mailed to you approximately
14 days after the date you send the test kit to the lab.
· If additional patient consultation is desired, it may be accessed by calling Dr.
Thomas Abshier at (503) 255-9500. The consult charge is $75.00/hr, billed at 15-minute
The Challenge Test (using the activated liquid zeolite drops) requires a total of
16 hours of urine collection. You will collect all urine produced during this period
into the blue jugs. You may use two jugs if needed. Note: at the end of the test,
pour them back and forth until well mixed. If only a single jug is used, it must
also be well mixed at the end of the 16-hour collection time, to distribute any metals
that may have sunk to the bottom of the jug. Pipette a small sample into the two
vials, as per the lab test kit directions. Label the two vials. Do not follow any
of the instructions which may be in the test kit other than the instructions on how
to prepare the urine samples for shipping. See the page: How to Fill Out the Lab
Requisition Form (below) for additional instructions.
Urine Challenge Test Protocol:
· Be sure you have not used any other chelating agent for at least 48 hours such
as MSM, Glutathione, DMPS, DMSA, EDTA, NAC (N Acetyl Cysteine), or Cysteine.
· Be sure that you are well hydrated and have the next 16 hours available to follow
the test kit protocol.
· Sample time schedule:
o 6 AM: Empty your bladder. (Do NOT save this urine). Take 15 drops of the activated
liquid zeolite diluted in at least 8 oz of purified water. Take 500-1000 mg of Vitamin
C with each dose of drops. Urine production begins at this time; continue collecting
urine and taking drops according to the test directions for the next 16 hours.
o 10 AM: Four hours after the first dose of 15 drops, take another 15 drops of the
Zeolite. Continue collecting all urine.
o 2 PM: Four hours after the second dose of 15 drops, take another 15 drops of Zeolite
solution. Continue collecting all urine.
o 6 PM: Four hours after the third dose of 15 drops, take the final 15 drops for
a total of 4 doses. Continue to collect all urine for the next 4 hours. This is
the final dose, but you will continue to collect urine for four more hours.
o 10 PM: Collect final urine specimen and stop further urine collection. Prepare
the sample according to the test kit directions (Mix, transfer sample to small tubes,
discard the rest) and refrigerate until DHL arrives for pick-up.
· Be sure to stay well hydrated during the test. Drink at least 2 liters (or 2 quarts)
of purified water during the urine collection process. Avoid over-hydration, as
this will excessively dilute the urine sample. Attempt to keep the total water intake
for the day around 2 liters.
· Prepare the sample carefully according to the directions included in the lab test
· Send the test kit to the lab according to the directions on the lab requisition
form. See ‘How to Fill Out the Lab Requisition Form’ for additional information.
Alternative Dosing Protocols:
· If a person is very fragile, has difficulty maintaining hydration or is otherwise
compromised, activated liquid zeolite dosing could be decreased to 5 drops, four
times* during the 16 hour urine collection time.
· Alternatively, if a person wants a vigorous challenge testing protocol, a person
could take 40 drops, four times* during the 16 hour urine collection time.
to take Vitamin C with activated liquid zeolite.
· Note: While unpleasant reactions are rare, the dosage that will be well tolerated
cannot be definitively estimated. The possibility of a reaction of some type cannot
be predicted or avoided when taking Zeolite. Thus the person engaging in the test
assumes all responsibility for reaction. While such caution and concern is in general
excessive considering the benign nature of Zeolite, the long-distance nature of the
doctor and patient dictates full disclosure and recognition of risks in this test.
· For the Highly Sensitive patient, to minimize the possibility of a strong unpleasant
detoxification reaction, it is suggested that you take 1 drop on day 1, 2 drops on
day 2, etc, until reaching the total dose that is expected to be used on the test
If toxins in the environment affect our bodies, and toxic metals such as mercury,
aluminum and lead store in our bodies, then it may be helpful to find out how you
can gently remove environmental toxins from your body and monitor your results. The
Toxic Metal Challenge and Activated Liquid Zeolite drops* are a perfect combination.
Toxic metals, such as Mercury, Arsenic and Lead may not be well removed from the
body, and thus may accumulate to levels which diminish the efficacy of the body’s
metabolic machinery. Detoxifying agents such as the negatively charged Zeolite molecule
can bond with positively charged metallic ions. When the Zeolite is eliminated from
via the body’s excretory mechanisms, the toxic metals may also be removed. The Toxic
Metal Urine Test demonstrates how much of each toxic metal is removed by ingesting
4 doses of Zeolite. The presence of twenty different heavy metals is assessed via
Mass Spectrometry, and the patient’s values are reported in comparison to the levels
which have been established as greater than the normal population.
There is no test that determines a person’s total toxic metal whole-body burden.
But, with the use of detoxifying protocols and minimal further toxic exposure, the
burden of toxic metals should eventually decrease, which may in turn allow the cellular
machinery to function with less interference.
The excretion rate for each toxic metal varies with its affinity for the Zeolite.
Likewise, the excretion rate of each toxic metal depends on how and where it is
stored and how it is bonded. Mercury may come out first, followed by the excretion
of lead and antimony because of the greater to lesser affinity of Zeolite (clinoptilolite)
to each of the metals. But, because of the location and method of storage, other
metals may come out before mercury. The important principle to understand is that
heavy metals come off in layers, with each metal being pulled out at a different
rate over time. Some levels will increase and then decrease and others will be low
and rise before falling again. The treatment should be continued until the levels
become low or insignificant, and then a maintenance dose should be taken to keep
the levels low.
Follow-up urine challenges will demonstrate this variability in excretion rate. In
general, lower total amounts of toxic metals will be excreted over time if the detoxification
protocol is continued. The follow-up schedule of Toxic Metal urine challenge test
is up to the individual. Some choose to schedule follow-up urine challenges as often
as every 4-6 weeks, others choose quarterly, semiannual, or annual retests to monitor
their detoxification progress.
Suggestions for supporting the body while detoxifying with the activated liquid zeolite
Please note that this is a suggestion. Please consult with your physician before
beginning any new products.
Once you have completed the activated liquid zeolite urine challenge test, you may
remain on the basic activated liquid zeolite detoxifying protocol of 15 drops 3 or
4 times a day while you wait for your test results.
· After receiving the report, the dosage level for liquid Zeolite detoxification
protocol is as follows:
o In general the dosing level of 10 drops 3x/day is well tolerated and effective.
o Sensitive patients must determine their level of tolerance and dose at that rate.
o A higher dose will detoxify faster, but a higher dose may not be tolerated, or
may not be affordable.
o Continue at the highest dose that is both affordable, and tolerated, and continue
at this dosing rate.
o Follow-up urine challenge tests are recommended every 4 to 6 weeks.
o As the Toxic Metal Urine Challenges begin to return to well below normal levels,
the rate of retest may be decreased, and the dosing rate may be reduced to the maintenance
If any symptoms, such as headaches, develop while taking the activated liquid zeolite,
it is recommended to reduce the dosage to 3 drops, 3 times a day. When any symptoms
have dissipated, you may slowly increase the activated liquid zeolite drops to 5
drops, 3 times a day for 5 days, then 10 drops, 3 times a day for 10 days. Slowly
increase back to 15 drops, 3 or 4 times a day.
It is also suggested that you take 500-1000 mg of Vitamin C with each dose of activated
liquid zeolite to help absorption. Ester C or Hiscorbadyne are also good choices.
Make sure you are well-hydrated, drinking 3-4 liters of purified water during the
day and adding fresh fruits and vegetables along with good fiber to your nutrition.
It is recommended to have a fiber intake of 50-60 g per day for optimal digestive
health. The Waiora product, Fiber Blend is an excellent fiber choice to use in conjunction
with this protocol as well as the Healthy Aging Formula and Essential Daily Nutrients.
EDN is the world’s most complete liquid super-nutrient.
Ask your representative for more information about these additional products for
supporting your health and longevity.
Once you have achieved urine challenge test results that indicate a minimal toxic
body load, it is suggested to use the maintenance dosage of 3 drops 3 times a day
and remain on the Waiora Fiber Blend, Healthy Aging Formula and Essential Daily Nutrients.
Please note: All of the above recommendations are suggestions, and nothing in this
site is intended or considered to be treatment of any kind. Please see your health
care practitioner for any medical conditions or treatment questions you may have.
The Toxic Metal Urine Challenge is not diagnostic of any medical condition, but
may be used as an additional piece of data to help a holistic doctor assess the focus
of your dysfunction. Other indicators to include in the evaluation of your health
status may be: Past Medical History, Physical, other Laboratory data, Mental Emotional
evaluation, History of Present Illness, Chief Complaint, Subjective Symptoms, and
other subtle indicators of body imbalance.
How to Fill Out the Lab Requisition Form
Once you receive your test kit from the lab you will need to refer back to this page
to complete the requisition form enclosed in the box.
Inside the test kit you will find the lab requisition form. We have simplified the
information required for you to fill out.
1. On the top left, in the Bill To section: check the Physician Account box.
2. On the top right corner, check the Toxic Element Clearance Profile.
Urine Element Profile is NOT available at this time.
DO NOT check the Comprehensive
Urine Element Test.
3. The Diagnosis Code is NOT required.
4. Collection duration –Check the Timed box,
For the Urine Challenge test write “16
For the Random Baseline test, write the amount of time you collected urine.
5. Do not record the Total Volume of Urine – this is a 16-hour test, not a 24 hour
6. Under Provocation: For the Urine Challenge test using Zeolite, mark Post-Provocation
for the Random Baseline test without Zeolite, mark Pre-Provocation).
7. Fill in Provocation Agent: "Zeolite"
For Pre-Provocation, no agent is used, so
write, "no agent used".
8. Physician Signature is NOT required.
9. Fill out Patient Information
10. Important: Fill in Date Final Sample Collected.
11. Be sure to sign the form.
12. Do NOT fill out the Insurance Information Section.
Insurance and Medicare billing
are not available though this site. This allows the cost of the test to remain inexpensive.
If you wish to bill this type of testing to your health care insurance or Medicare,
you must find a local health care provider to do the testing for you.
13. Check or Credit Card Information: Please send a check for $58 made out to Genova
Diagnostics, or fill out Credit Card info.
Dr. Abshier’s charge is $30 for making
this test available to you and reporting it to you by email.
Please send a check
to Dr. Abshier at 1414 NE 109th Ave., Portland, OR 97220.
If you wish to consult
with Dr. Abshier about your medical conditions you may call him at 503 255 9500.
The cost for consultations is $75/hr.
The cost for the liquid zeolite is separate
from these charges.
14. Follow instructions for collecting samples and placing in vials. It is NOT necessary
to write Total Urine Volume on the vials of urine.
15. Put the requisition form and the urine sample in the box.
16. Call DHL toll-free at 1-800-225-5345 to schedule a pick-up.
17. Refrigerate test kit until the day of pick-up. On the day of pick up it is okay
to leave it on your doorstep until DHL arrives on that day.
18. Do NOT fold the shipment bag. Pull the adhesive strip off from inside the bag
on one side and press the bag together to seal.
19. CRITICAL Once you ship the test kit to the lab, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
with "Shipped kit to lab" in the subject field along with the name of the person
submitting the specimen for testing. Some of the instructions on this site may seem
contradictory when compared to the enclosed instruction sheet. Please follow these
instructions carefully and don't worry! The main concerns are outlined above for
a successful collection and shipment.
Summary of Testing Protocol:
Obtain a urine test kit and activated liquid Zeolite
drops from Dr. Abshier.
Thomas Lee Abshier, ND
1414 NE 109th Ave., Portland, OR 97220,
Phone: (503) 255-9500, fax (503) 255-1888
· Follow the instructions explaining the Urine Challenge Test Protocol.
· Email Dr. Abshier your Name, Address (note: physical address, not P.O. Box), Phone
Number, Fax Number, and Email address
· Email Dr. Abshier a description of your medical condition and estimate your level
· You will receive a test kit via UPS.
· Follow the instructions above for doing the Toxic Metal Challenge and urine collection.
· When you complete the test, follow the instructions (below) on filling out the
Lab Requisition Form.
· You may expect your test results with data analysis via e-mail approximately 14
days from the date you sent the test kit back to the lab. It takes approximately
5 days to run the test from the time the lab gets the specimen.